Prediction: Trabzonspor vs Fenerbahce

Best Odds: 4/6

Bookmaker:

Looking to extend on their stellar purple patch on Christmas Eve afternoon, Fenerbahce will make the trip to Trabzonspor for what could be an enjoyable affair.

Trabzonspor

Starting with the hosts, managing to mark their return to domestic duties with a thumping 3-0 victory at home against Samsunspor while on Turkish Cup duties, Trabzonspor will be looking to use that display as a platform to build on. Heading into the World Cup s winter break with back-to-back stalemates against Ankaragucu and Konyaspor, Abdullah Avci s men have struggled to find much stability this season. Although the Trabzon-based outfit might have shocked many as they clinched a seventh Super Lig crown, the one-time Besiktas boss finds his side facing a real uphill…

Benitez responds to ´lies´ he tried to teach Ronaldo free-kicks and change Modric passing

Rafael Benitez insists it is not true he tried to teach Cristiano Ronaldo how to take free-kicks while head coach of Real Madrid.

Benitez was in charge at the Santiago Bernabeu for an ill-fated seven months between June 2015 and January 2016 before he was replaced by Zinedine Zidane.

The former Liverpool manager struggled to win over the fans and reportedly had a difficult relationship with some of Madrid s first-team stars, most notably Ronaldo.

Benitez is said to have encouraged the Portugal star to review footage of his own past performances in order to improve and, according to some reports, even attempted to instruct Madrid s record goalscorer how best to shoot from dead-ball situations.

However, Benitez, now coach of Chinese Super League side Dali…

Declan Rice says Arsenal ‘never stop believing’ after late winner at Luton

Declan Rice believes Arsenal’s “never-say-die” attitude can lead them to Premier League glory this season.

The England midfielder headed home a last-gasp winner as Mikel Arteta’s side came from behind to secure a thrilling 4-3 victory at Luton on Tuesday night.

Rice nodded in Martin Odegaard’s cross to spark scenes of wild celebration in the away end after Kai Havertz had earlier drawn them level at Kenilworth Road.

Big. Game. Player.

— Arsenal (@Arsenal)

The visitors had led 2-1 at half-time as Gabriel Martinelli and Gabriel Jesus scored either side of Gabriel Osho’s equaliser but two errors from goalkeeper David Raya gifted Luton the lead.

Elijah Adebayo headed in a corner with Raya stranded as the Spain international cam…

Ronaldo scores twice on Saudi bow but Messi and Mbappe inspire PSG to thrilling victory

Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice yet Lionel Messi and Kylian Mbappe helped Paris Saint-Germain defeat Riyadh All-Stars 5-4 in a thrilling friendly.

The exhibition at King Fahd International Stadium on Thursday saw 21 shots on target, nine goals, a red card for Juan Bernat and a penalty miss from Neymar.

Having had his debut for new club Al Nassr delayed due to a domestic ban carried over from his time at Manchester United, Ronaldo s first game since moving to Saudi Arabia came for a hybrid XI that also contained players from Al Hilal.

It set up a reunion with long-time rival and fellow multiple Ballon d Or winner Lionel Messi in what was their first meeting on the pitch of any sort since Juventus beat Barcelona 3-0 in the Champions League group stage in 2020.

The Numbers Game: PSG front three poised to end Monaco´s impressive away run

Paris Saint-Germain will be out to continue their lightning start to the Ligue 1 season against one of the few teams to depose them as Ligue 1 champions in the QSI era when Monaco visit the Parc des Princes.

New coach Christophe Galtier has seen his team claim three wins from three league games, their latest victory coming at the expense of a Lille side he guided to the title in 2020-21.

PSG thrashed Les Dogues 7-1 and already hold a two-point lead at the top of the table.

Monaco, who edged out PSG in 2016-17, look unlikely to challenge them this season, having taken four points from three games.

It would be harsh to overly criticise that points return but the consistency of PSG s star-studded squad has made early slip-ups something potential title rival…

Paul Pogba says he almost quit football over alleged blackmail plot

Paul Pogba says he was almost driven to walk away from football after allegedly being blackmailed by an organised crime gang.

The 30-year-old midfielder’s brother Mathias was detained in September 2022 on suspicion of involvement in the alleged plot, which Paul Pogba claimed amounted to a bid to extort £11.1million from him.

Mathias Pogba was released in December and denies the charges.

Paul Pogba reported the incident to Turin prosecutors in July of last year, shortly after leaving Manchester United on a free transfer in order to rejoin Juventus.

Speaking to Al Jazeera, Paul Pogba said: “When there is money you have to be careful. Money changes people. It can break up a family. It can create a war.

“Sometimes I was just by myself thinking:…

PSG planning for life after Mbappe? Haaland heads list of potential targets

Kylian Mbappe remained at Paris Saint-Germain beyond the end of the transfer window, but his long-term future may not lie in the French capital.

The World Cup winner is a free agent at the end of the season and is reportedly ready to move.

Real Madrid, who bid for Mbappe at the start of this campaign, appear his most likely destination, but far less predictable is his potential replacement at PSG.

The Ligue 1 giants have months to plan their next move, so Stats Perform breaks down the possible options to fill Mbappe s big boots.

 

ERLING HAALAND

Borussia Dortmund remained firm in their stance of keeping hold of Haaland in the most recent transfer window, despite some heavyweight clubs reportedly showing an interest as deadline day approac…

Kompany: Different Manchester City must not be complacent

Vincent Kompany knows history is against Manchester City in their quest to retain the Premier League title, but he does not see complacency creeping into Pep Guardiola s ranks. 

The Manchester United teams of 2007-08 and 2008-09 were the last to successfully win back-to-back crowns and Kompany has been part of two City sides since that have been unable to immediately follow up a title triumph with another championship.

However, Guardiola s men have beaten Arsenal and Huddersfield to go to the top of the embryonic Premier League table and long-serving defender Kompany believes the atmosphere around the champions is different to the 2012 and 2014 City sides that failed in their title defences.

I can only say it s different from previous years we have won the leag…

The last step – Pep Guardiola tells Man City to take Club World Cup chance

Pep Guardiola urged his Manchester City players to seize a potential “once-in-a-lifetime” opportunity after reaching the Club World Cup final.

The Champions League winners set up a clash with Brazilian side Fluminense in Friday’s showpiece in Jeddah with a comfortable 3-0 win over Japanese outfit Urawa Red Diamonds on Tuesday.

City needed an own goal in first-half stoppage time to get their campaign up and running in Saudi Arabia, but strikes from Mateo Kovacic and Bernardo Silva after the break secured a straightforward victory.

Ready for the Finals!

— Mateo Kovacic (@mateokovacic8)

City manager Guardiola told reporters at a press conference said: “We didn’t win it (before) – it’s the first time Manchester City are here.

Tottenham chief Paratici faces uncertain future after ban extended worldwide by FIFA

Tottenham managing director of football Fabio Paratici s future at the club has been cast into doubt after his ban by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) was extended worldwide by FIFA.

Paratici was one of 11 individuals connected with Juventus who were issued with bans by the FIGC in January after the club was found guilty of false accounting in relation to transfer dealings.

Juventus were also docked 15 points as part of the punishment.

Paratici and Juventus denied any wrongdoing, with an appeal against the initial sanctions imposed by the FIGC to be heard by the Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) on April 19.

Despite his 30-month ban, Spurs director Paratici was able to continue his role with the Premier League club because the suspension only applied…